Friday, June 22, 2012

West Coast



Do you dream of California? Do you yearn for it? I never did. California was on the very lowest of low priorities on my travel list. I had no use for what I thought of as Florida pt II. I already had swamps, beautiful beaches, Disney WORLD and all the bloody sunshine I could ever dream of.

Welp my mind was blown. Northern California is beyond gorgeous. Cliffy beaches, redwood forests, otters and seals, rolling hills and mountains, San Francisco...gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. Here's a rundown of things we did that I would definitely recommend if you're visiting the area.


  • Toasted Almond Black and Tan sundae from Fentons, the ice cream shop from UP!
  • Bi-Rite Creamery, any flavor.
  • View from Coit Tower, we didnt go up but just the drive up and the view is really nice.
  • Alcatraz. This seems obvious, but the ferry ride over gives such a gorgeous view of the city and the audio tour is incredibly interesting. Don't skip it. 
  • The Ferry Building, eat lunch there and get a milk from Cowgirl Creamery. Eat your treasures outside on the upper ferry dock. Super packed on Saturdays. 
  • 17 mile drive down the coast of Monterey to Pebble Beach and Carmel. Get out and explore. 
  • Muir Woods, gorgeous red wood trees. If I had an extra day I would have taken one of the longer hikes all the way down to the beach. 
  • The Disney Family Museum. Bursting at the seams with memorabilia from the Disney family, including the first known sketches of Mickey, and lots of interactive videos, games and sound clips.
  • View from the hills across the bay of the Golden Gate Bridge
  • Monterey Aquarium. We spent 3 hours here, really cool place.
  • Find all the Banksy pieces in town, because your 17 year old self would have thought you were the coolest. 
I could  have spent another week in just San Francisco itself. I wish I could have. We'll be back!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin and I ate at Fenton's for BREAKFAST of all things as soon as they opened. I devoured a ridiculous ice cream monster. It included:

    pinapple and strawberries, strawberry, orange, and pineapple sherbert, homemade hot carmel and fudge sauce, vanilla, toasted almond, and chocolate ice cream, whipped cream (this was in layers) and a cherry on top.

    We loved our bay area trip we took. A week def. wasnt enough time.

    ReplyDelete